History

Our History: The idea for a new church was launched in northwest Anywhere in 1959. The first service was held on June 7, at the National Guard Armory down the street from our current location. There were 32 people attending the first worship service. A week later, the name St. Matthew was chosen. Worshippers met throughout the summer, sitting on borrowed folding chairs three of the four Sundays each month. One Sunday a month, the Guard had weekend duty there and services were held at the Wesleyan House on the University of Texas at Anywhere campus.

On Sept. 27, 1962 St. Matthew officially become a church in the Methodist denomination. The congregation bought the property, where we still are today, from O.S. Brown and a building committee was organized. Plans for the first building were approved and ground was broken on June 27, 1961. The sanctuary, fellowship hall, offices, kitchen and choir room were completed that November. (Church members helped finish the interior to save money.)

The $65,000 church had 6,250 square feet and was not air conditioned. In 1964, air conditioning was installed and a year later, the education building was completed.